Friday, March 19, 2010

For Grooms Marrying Tall (Not Taller) Brides

Each time Yeng goes for a consultation with her potential designers (yes she is still choosing), one thing she never forgets to mention is that she won't be wearing heels. The next couple of minutes would be a routine, with the designers asking her and myself to stand up side by side, after which they make the "hmmmmm" sound with matching nodding heads,and while avoiding my eyes say "oo nga".

I'm used to this and yes, Yeng does look taller than me. But I'm taller than her by a small fraction of an inch which doesn't really count anymore, except to me and my pride.

So anyway, she will be wearing flats for our wedding and I'll be doing my best to look taller.
-----
Based on my ultra scientific research method (googling), here's a compilation of tips and tricks on how to look taller (without looking like an idiot).

1. Monochromatic dressing is a very effective trick that makes everybody looks slimmer and taller instantly. Color is the first thing most people notice about an outfit. Dressing in one color produces a strong unbroken vertical line that elongates the body. Wear a monochromatic belt, pant, and shoe combination for the longest line possible on the leg. Jerome Lorico has designed a monochromatic look for me, but I'm still partial for a white shirt. I'll maybe have both made and take it from there.

2. Keep the jacket somewhat short, which will help make your legs appear longer. Choose patterns that stress vertical lines. Wear pants somewhat high on waist, and make sure they have healthy break and shorter cuffs or no cuffs. I'm good with this, I'm all for the Dior Homme look.

3. Avoid double-breasted jackets. Double-breasted coats, pocket flaps and single vents as these styles will make you look heavier. Pants should have long rise, and the waist should sit at natural waistline. A belt underneath a paunch only accentuates the weight and makes legs look shorter.

4. Keep your hair short. I'm currently wearing my hair quite long. Not Steven Segal long, more like Jonas Brothers long. I've read that shorter hair generally makes you look taller. When the neck shows, the figure looks elongated. Anything bulky around the neck will make you look shorter. I wasn't planning on maintaining this length anyway and for sure I'll get a proper hair cut a week before the big day.

5. Avoid wearing garments made from stiff materials. Stiff fabrics will make you look square and boxy. Similarly bulky fabrics simply add mass, making your body look bulkier and shorter. Always go for the finer, lighter weight variety. Fabrics, however, should have enough weight to fall naturally without clinging.Since were going for a beach reception, rest assured I won't be wearing anything stiff. It has to be light enough that I won't sweat myself out in San Juan.

6. Ties have to be the right length. After being tied, the tips of the tie should reach the waistband of the trousers.Additionally, I'll be going with a narrow/slim tie that I've read should also add to the vertical lines.

7. It is better for short people to tuck in their shirts. Leaving it untucked and long just serves to shorten you by creating the illusion of shorter legs. Tucking in not only looks neat but prevents you from looking like you’re an eight-year old wearing one of Dad’s button-front shirts for art class. No problem for this one as I don't plan on getting married witgh my shirt untucked.

8. Don't wear platform shoes. Don't look desperate by wearing platform shoes ala Kim Jong-Il. Not only are they uncomfortable, they are also obvious and instead of looking tall, people will notice how tall you are because of shoes, meaning that you are actually short. Wear shoes with thicker soles but are still proportinal to the lines of the shoes. I still don't know what shoes I'm buying, but rest assured it won't be a platform shoe. I'm sticking to my wing tips and/or cap toes.












I don't understand why Tom Cruise is getting all the media coverage for his shoes. It's tall, but they're not ridiculously tall. Why doesn't Bono get the same treatment, when he wears Kim Jong-Il type shoes.?

2 comments:

yeng said...

Wow naman may research pa! You have the designers to consult naman, haha.

for sure I'll get a proper hair cut a week before the big day. --A WEEK BEFORE the big day pa??

dale said...

I said I'd have a haircut 1 week before the big day, but that doesn't necessarily mean I won't have one before that ΓΌ

But now that you mentioned it...